Last Wednesday on my ‘To Do This Week’ list was to make a notebook to take with me to Ireland.  I finished this about, oooh, midnight on the Thursday lol.  Anyway, I had loved the notebook cover from Rachel’s Curves Class with the tricky improv flower bud – yay, I only needed the seam ripper once!  

Now, I’ll admit here that I followed the pattern for the bud bit only, and after that I had to wing it.  You see I made the actual notebook too…  I started out to just buy one, I really did, but then I wanted plain paper.  And gridded paper.  And lined paper.  Hmm.  WH Smiths was strangely out of such a beast – I think I had imagined a project book would have a mix of things, but there wasn’t even a Pukka Pad that fit the bill.  I managed to find a collection of exercise books that I think are aimed at small kids learning to read and write.  I got a lined pad, a plain pad, a gridded pad, and one that was half plain, half lined (in the shop they sell them individually for about 99p a piece) When I got them home I cut off about 1/8″ at the stapled edge to make them loose leaf, added in some smaller gridded paper from a French pad, then got out a couple of sheets of greyboard, a thick piece for the cover and a thin piece for the dividers.  I used my Zutter Bind-It-All to wire bind it, and then went to make the cover.

You’ll be truly shocked to know that the home-made pad wasn’t the same dimensions as Rachel’s pad ;o)  I made the bud bit with her measurements, added the stem and free motion stitched the leaf, then trimmed it down to allow me to put a decent border all round with a collection of fabrics from my stash.  I totally mixed the lines here, and as most were charms or fat quarters with no selvedges, I have no clue what most of it is, although I thought the charm with the bees was perfect for the bud.  I added some of the Moda rulers inside the front cover though, and some Children At Play How To Make A Paper Hat inside the back cover (you know, in case I get bored ;o) )

I’m processing pics for Jack’s blog, so will hopefully get something up tomorrow or Thursday…