Time for the weekly dose of randomness…
1. It was a sad week this week, with the death of Iain Banks, the author of my absolutely favourite ‘adult’ book (that is to say the first book as a teen that I loved more than any kid or teen centred book), The Crow Road. I mean really, who couldn’t love a book that starts with the line ‘It was the day my grandmother exploded’? I don’t know why, but no other book that he wrote gripped me in the same way, however I think it might be time to dig out my copy again, it’s been a couple of years… RIP Mr Banks.
2. Thanks to the Open University, this week I discovered who my design alter ego was, want to see?
I had to go and google him, I have to admit, and now I’m off to find my flat cap ;o) You can find out your alter ego here.
3. I always suspected that people shopping in Tesco in the middle of the night were a bit weird, but really, who leaves a deer head behind at a self service checkout? Actually, who takes one in, entirely un-noticed?!!!
4. Did you know that there are sharks without teeth, such as the smooth-hound shark? I wonder if they ever feel slightly inferior or unfulfilled when next to their more toothy cousins?
5. Did you know a 16th Century accountant wrote the first known ‘fashion’ book? It turns out that for 40 years, a German number cruncher wrote about what he wore, while commissioning watercolour paintings of himself in different outfits, kind of makes the small effort required to get a ‘selfie’ of our latest outfits for our blogs rather insignificant!
Linking up to our ever genial host:
Such lovely randomness, thanks 🙂
fun as usual, thanks 🙂
I'm ludwig van der pound. Now that's random!
No, I'm Ludwig Georg van der Pound!!!
ha, ha, beautifully random as always. And I can confirm the Great White Shark is NOT without teeth, having caged dived with them in my younger (madder) days, they were on the outside of the cage for my protection, btw, not the other way round!
What you don't take a stuffed animal head with you when shopping? How else will you know whether those decorations on offer will work or not??
I'm surprised Tesco aren't trying to sell a cheap dear head themselves!! You can buy the most random things in the massive one by me!
I took the test, I'm Charlie too!
Oh dear, I'm Ludwig Georg Van Der Pound as well! Lovely randomness, and great sadness about Iain Banks
I'm not sure what on earth I did to cause the outcome but apparently I'm 'La Cube'…
so love Thursday Charles 🙂
Thursdays always make me smile! My alter ego is apparently A. W. N. Ruskin. Thank you 🙂
So a 16th century accountant invented the selfie? Thats gonna be a kick in the pants for Gen Y since they think they invented it !
My first time at your Random Thursday. What fun little bits of knowledge. I know my life will be richer because of it. 😉 I'm sure I'll come back here every Thursday.
Very funny….made me smile!!
Random craziness is what you are all about.
Did Ian Banks write the Bridge? I seem to remember that one being wierd
Okay, we share the same design alter ego. I have never heard of him, but it pleases me exceptionally much to know that I share the same design alter ego as you do. I'm going to see if that book is available on Kindle. And did you see that Hadley linked up to "Cindy and the Randomeers"–isn't that the best name?!
Ok you are officially nuts and I am Chuck Dreyfuss….
Love your randoms! The deer head one really got me wondering. And the 16th century fashion book…
What's odder is that apparently it's not the first time this deer head weirdness has happened. Plus, Saffron Walden is really not the sort of town you'd expect that to happen. Now I know why I choose the Waitrose in the town centre instead 🙂
Yes yes yes…..I love the first line of The Crow Road too, its hysterical but not as many folk as you would think find it funny. They must have no funny bones at all !! xx
I am the same design alter ego as you, whatever that means? Those design type things about interpreted functions and form are beyond my practical understanding. Nancy of Owens Olivia was the same alter ego too. Do you read her blog? She's hilarious with her sarcasm.