I had a slightly worrying moment this week when *whispers* I wasn’t sure I had enough random for you… Never fear though, I found some things :oD
1. I hate TV adverts – normally I Sky+ everything so I can fast forward through any ads, but while I was in the kitchen making dinner last night, I heard a couple of ads that made me wonder if the people behind them had really thought through what they were saying. Firstly for Nissan, ‘Buy our car and you’ll never buy petrol again’. Hmm, I haven’t bought petrol in years, why is this a selling point? Ohhhh, you were trying to sell an electric car, maybe petrol wasn’t the word you were casting around for then…
The second was for Aptamil, ‘If you’re going to move away from breastfeeding, then buy our milk’. If? IF?! Good grief, who wants adults that are still breastfeeding?! I suspect that wasn’t quite what they were aiming for either!
2. Now I’ve heard of drunk fuelled revellers rampaging through towns, but in Lincolnshire, they’re a little backwards, so their drunk fuelled revellers were recently caught on CCTV fixing a bike rack. Excellent :oD
3. There are many things that I imagine people come to see Highland Games for, but one of the most comic bits is usually tossing the caber. Unfortunately Pitlochry Highland Games got into a bit of trouble last year when all their entrants were able to toss their 17ft/92lb caber nae bother. This year they had to up the ante, alas, history has not related how the throwing went, as no-one has typed up the results from 2 weeks ago!
4. So did you know that there’s a polar bear jail in Canada? Yup, in Churchill, Manitoba, known as the polar bear capital of the world, some of the 1,000 odd polar bears who wander into town for a bit of a snack get put in jail on a strict diet of water for up to a month before getting sent on their way again. Apparently some of them get a little green too…
5. Finally, a study by linguists at Glasgow Uni *cough* the opposition *cough* has determined that watching Eastenders is turning Glaswegians Cockney. Hmm, I don’t think they did much studying round my way…
I’d like to say it’s like this:
But it’s rather more like this (about half a mile down the road):
I kind of fell down a YouTube black hole for you finding these BTW!
Linking up to my fellow Randomeers:
Ahh, the wonderful Glasgow accent. Gotta love it 🙂
Fun, fun, fun as usual. Thanks 🙂
We had an advert through the door at work form a local estate agents saying we have clients waiting to live here. There were two pictures on the card…one was the local grave yard. I'm sure that wasn't what they really meant…
I was just wondering where on earth you got the photo of the breastfeeding man! My mother's from Glasgow (though she only has the faintest Scottish accent now), so I spent many weekends visiting my grandparents as a child. Needless to say, most of the time I would need a translator.
Hee hee hee, please always link to Glaswegian videos on Thursdays! 😀
you like men with moustaches??
For some reason the photos aren't loading for me.. I bet they're hilarious. The idea of a polar bear jail is pretty cute.
Bless those Lincolnshire lads. Such a randomly cute thing to do .
Polar Bear jail? Water only? Is that supposed to rehabilitate them not to eat people?
Och aye I love a Scottish accent, and had no problems understanding it (most of the time) when I was in Scotland. Except for the time the guy at the supermarket asked me about wanting a wee baggie. I had to have that translated a couple of times before I understood what he was talking about.
I'm afraid if any one asked me about commercials on TV I wouldn't have a clue. I never listen. Poor polar bear. They were there long before settlement.
You don't want to get me started on how much i hate my glaswegian husband doing his awful cockney accent and you really don't want to hear me rant about the evils of formula milk companies so i best get off to bed instead 😉
You come up with the oddest stuff. Did not know we put polar bears in jail, mostly we let them wander about eating what they like.
I love your random!
ha ha, great start to a Friday, thank you x
oh I wish i had a working sound card on my work computer….
Thanks for a lovely ramble of random; you must spend ages finding them each week!!
What about dentists in Glasgow?
Aw, Come ON HEN! Gonnae no dae tha'. Nae offence an aw tha', but you're gonnae get Glesga a terrible nem makin' aw they folk out ther' think a'body frae the city speaks like tha!
Okay just got the photos and films – you're a crack up Katy – this weeks randoms are hilarious